Random thoughts

In this blog I am writing about my experience from book  (Curious Mind) and documentary (Theranos)

Thomas Alva Edison: Undoubtedly the greatest innovator with hundreds of patents in his name. It was interesting for me to particularly learn about his Light bulb innovation he marketed 4 years before it was ready. He sold the idea and made money out of it even when the bulbs were exploding due to heat. He figured it out before his investors exploded. Till now, I never know this side of Thomas Alva Edison. He was also the inventor of "Fake it till you make it" apparently :-)

Another interesting observation I heard from Theranos documentary in HBO is about Dice analogy. If I ask you to spin the dice and tell me the number (without me watching the result), I will pay you based on the result. Ex: if you rolled 6, i will pay you $6. I am not Watching it so you have chance of cheating me. Imagine you are hooked up to Lie detector now. You will be caught in that test. Imagine different scenario, you are told that I will pay to the charity all your winnings. Now you still have the chance to cheat and you are still hooked up to the lie detector. But this time you will NOT be caught by lie detector. Because in your mind you have false sense of righteousness. "You are doing it for a good cause". Now interpret that in your real life WHAT FALSE SENSE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS YOU HAVE IN YOUR MIND ?

Elizabeth Holmes convinced herself Theranos is all true and convinced some of the Most powerful people in the world that it is true. One famous person in particular trusted her more than his own grandson. After going through the documentary series of Theranos, It always amazes me "the power of lawyers" and "blue eyes". 

Once a corporate is dominating force, it will rarely reinvent anything and will always do in their power to crush the competition. I think there should be some limitation on maximum market share a company can monopolize in a particular industry/sector. It may be in terms of $ or in terms of %.

I was reading the book "A Curious Mind" by Brian grazer, it was interesting to know how his life changed from all his curious conversations. He overheard in a hotel about someone resigning from film studio from legal clerk job, he immediately called the studio and ended up with that job in 24 hours. Also, it was interesting to know, he made up a process " that he has to handover the contract from the studios to the celebrity " instead of giving it to that celebrities assistant. No body ever questioned his processes and it greatly improved his personal connection with prominent people.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dhirubhai Notorious or Famous???????

Sri Sri kavitha

Excerpt from the book "Made to Stick"