Quotes from the book "Think like a Monk" - Part I

There is a series of 5 Blogposts about the quotes I collected from this book of Jay Shetty - "Think like a Monk". Out of 67 books I read so far this is my most favorite book till date. 



If you want happiness for an hour - go sleep. If you want happiness for a day - go fishing. If you want happiness for a year - inherit wealth. if you want happiness for life - go help someone else. Helpers High and Givers Glory.

A layperson who is consciously aiming to be continuously alive in the Now is a monk.

In the last three thousand years humans haven't really changed.

It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection - Bhagavad Gita 3.35

I am Not what I think I am , and I am not what you think I am, I am what I think you think I am - Charles Horton Cooley

We live in a perception of a perception of ourselves, and we've lost our real selves as a result.

When you try to live your most authentic life, some of your relationships will be put in jeopardy. Losing them is a risk worth bearing; finding a way to keep them in your life is a challenge worth taking on.

Ceto-darpana-marjanam : Your identity is a mirror covered with dust. when you first look in the mirror, the truth of who you are and what you value is obscured, Clearing it may not be pleasant, but only when that dust is gone you can see your true reflection.

When we tune out the opinions, expectations, and obligations of the world around us, we begin to hear ourselves.

In a research participants even chose to zap themselves with an electric shock rather than be alone with their thoughts.

Researchers have found that by the end of our lives, on average, each of us will spend 33 years in bed (7 years of which will be trying to sleep), a year and four months exercising, and more than three years on vacation. If you are a woman, you will spend 136 days getting ready. If you are man this number drops to 46 days. These are just estimates of course.

Living within one mile of someone who becomes happier raises your likelihood of happiness by 25%.

When I spend time with this person or group, do I feel like I'm getting closer to or further away from who I want to be ?

Does this fit my Chosen values or those that others have selected for me ?

Quotes from the book "Think like a Monk" - Part II:

Quotes from the book "Think like a Monk" - Part III:

Quotes from the book "Think like a Monk" - Part IV:

Quotes from the book "Think like a Monk" - Part V

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dhirubhai Notorious or Famous???????

Sri Sri kavitha

Excerpt from the book "Made to Stick"